Tuesday 6 March 2012

review: the scorpio races - maggie stiefvater

THE SCORPIO RACES
Maggie Stiefvater
Release Date: October 22nd 2011
Publisher: Scholastic UK
Pages: 482
Source: bought

Rating: 5 out of 5

"It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line.

Some riders live.

Others die.


At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn't given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen
"

Maggie Stiefvater is without a doubt, one of my favourite authors. With this in mind, my review might be slightly biased! I don't think I could recommend this book enough, to me it's perfect. The premise is unlike any other book I've read, it completely sucked me in and would not let go until I had finished reading it.

Maggie's writing is just wonderful; it's descriptive, lyrical and captivating. I loved the setting, a tiny island called 'Thisby' off the coast of Ireland. It was atmospheric and mysterious, which suited the plot incredibly. The descriptions of the island were beautiful, and it was hard for me to believe it was an imaginary island, to me Thisby was alive. It had a heart and a soul, it was easy to see why Puck loved it.

I also loved the dual narrative and the development of the relationship between Sean Kendrick and Puck. It was a subtle, not overstated development and I really liked that. I became invested in their relationship, and was willing them to have a happy ending which I didn't believe was possible: only one of them can win the races and therefore what they desire the most. Sean is completely swoon-worthy, and I will admit I'm a little in love with him! The relationship between the riders and their respective horses was also a highlight for me. You could feel the love Puck has for Dove and Sean Kendrick has for Corr, and as a previous horse owner I could relate completely.

I became completely and utterly emotionally attached to the intertwining stories of Sean Kendrick and Puck, and found myself in tears at the ending, and thinking about this book for days after I read it. I kind of wished it wasn't a standalone novel and that it was part of a series because I didn't want to stop reading about this island and it's inhabitants.

This book is one I've already re-read so many times, it is captivating, heart wrenching and beautifully written. If you haven't picked it up yet I highly suggest you do. I'll leave you with perhaps my favourite quote from the whole book.
"I say, "I will not be your weakness Sean Kendrick."

Now he looks at me. He says, very softly. "It's late for that Puck."

No comments:

Post a Comment