Monday 2 April 2012

the hunger games film

So I saw 'The Hunger Games' for the second time today, and I have to say despite worrying that it would no way live up to the book series, I was really impressed by it! It's possibly the best book to movie adaptation I've seen. I was a little annoyed that they changed certain things from the book but I completely understand that it had to happen!

The casting was one of the things I was unsure of before seeing the film, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta, really? But after seeing his portrayal I don't think there is another actor that could play Peeta and capture the role quite as he did. He was perfect. I also really enjoyed Liam Hemsworth as Gale, and Alexander Ludwig was simply superb at playing ruthless Cato. I'm still not 100% sold on Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, although I think that's more due to the fact we get none of her internal monologue in the film so she didn't seem as much of a brilliant character as she was in the books.

District 12 was done so perfectly, I never imagined it to being like a 'shanty town' but it completely captured the desperation and despair in the district. The comparison to the Capitol was brilliantly done, showing two complete opposites on a scale of wealth and luxury. I also thought that the costumes were done so well, showing the extravagance and quite frankly kookiness of the Capitol and it's inhabitants.

Seneca Crane also deserves a little shout out, as I really felt for him knowing what fate had instore for him. It was really nice to see the 'gamemakers room', and see them actually create fire, and falling trees and the mutts. I also liked the flashes of Gale at home, and seeing his reactions to Katniss/Peeta in the arena. I felt that it really came across that Gale loves Katniss, while I found that you couldn't really tell Katniss was just pretending to like Peeta, I'd be clueless if I hadn't read the books.

All in all, you should definitely go see it if you haven't already! And I firmly believe that the film completely did the books justice! Even if you haven't read the books, the film is a definite must see!

No comments:

Post a Comment