Tuesday 24 April 2012

review: die for me - amy plum


DIE FOR ME
Amy Plum
Release Date: May 11th 2011
Publisher: ATOM
Pages: 344
Source: bought

Rating: 2 out of 5

"My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything. Suddenly, my sister, Georgia and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.

Mysterious, sexy and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen. Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies. . .immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind."
I bought this book on a whim as a very good friend wouldn't stop raving about it! However personally I didn't really enjoy it, which was a shame as I really love the plot but it just didn't grab me emotionally at all! It started off really slow paced, and it was a while before anything exciting happened which I found a little dull :(

The parts that I did like included the romantic setting, Paris has always been a city I've loved and Amy Plum described it so beautifully I was about ready to book a plane ticket there! It was nice to actually have the action unfold within the city, we get to follow Kate to art museums and quaint cafes among other places. It added a unique charm to the setting. I also enjoyed the plot line, the idea of revenants and numa is like nothing else I've read before, and I hope we find out more about their origins and backgrounds in the next books.

Unfortunately there was just something missing in this book which stopped me engaging emotionally with it. I found the main character dull, she didn't come across strong to me at all. Kate is self depreciating, and to put it bluntly has no other life than Vincent. I didn't feel empathy for her mourning at all, I just couldn't connect. Her sister Georgia, also came across as completely shallow. She cared more about partying than she did Kate, and for her to pick a relative stranger over Kate just showed that.

The romance also lacked chemistry for me. There wasn't much intimacy between them, and I don't know I just didn't believe it really. Vincent seems to become obsessed with Kate, without much reason. I just wanted more! More tension, more build-up but unfortunately I didn't get it :(. Maybe I've just been spoilt by reading books with abudance of romantic tension in, so when I read this it had no chance of comparing. Another thing I find strange is Vincent also seems far too perfect to be real? It was just too cliche for me.

This book just lacked that special something for me, even though plenty of others absolutely adore it! I don't want my review to put anyone off, as this book will be something the majority love. I think I will read the sequel as I adored the setting, and the idea of revenants so I want to learn more about them.


No comments:

Post a Comment